Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Commercial Break Between Innings: The "P" Word--Pension or Passion?

As the Illinois state legislature discusses some very controversial changes that may soon be made to the pension system in our state, I felt it would be appropriate to take a break from my regular posts and chime in on this topic.  My third inning post will be coming soon....


Doyle Alexander helped Detroit in '87...briefly.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

Think about how often this question is asked of you, by you, or around you throughout the course of your life.  It's a common question for two reasons.  First, it's important.  Second, it's very difficult to answer.

In 1994, I was at that stage in my life where I really needed to start bearing down on some sort of definitive answer to this question.  I had done everything my parents, teachers, coaches, counselors, and other influential adults in my life had asked me to do at that point (this was my junior year at Hersey High School).  Nearly perfect attendance.  Challenging courses filled with honors and AP offerings.  High score on the ACT.  Involved in a wide variety of extracurriculars.  Varsity athlete.

By now, I thought it was all supposed to fall in place, but the job interest surveys and conversations with my guidance counselor were leaving me feeling empty.  I knew I was going to college, but for what purpose?  

What in the world was I going to do when I grew up?

At some point during that school year, something opened my eyes.  The answer was right there in front of me.  It was actually comical for me to look back and think that I had ever experienced any doubt as to what I was going to dedicate the remainder of my professional life to.

You see, I was very fortunate throughout my school-aged years.  Attending public school, first in River Trails District 26 and later at John Hersey High School, I was surrounded by great teachers.  A myriad of reasons can be given for what, exactly, made each of them great.  But when I stopped to think about these people who had been such a big part of my development, I noticed that they all had several qualities in common.  They were happy.  They were helpful.  They were passionate.  They enjoyed the company of the students around them, as well as the colleagues they worked with.

My teachers, over the years, well....they loved their jobs.

Teachers like Mr. Madura, Mr. Vena, and Ms. Dinklekamp.  Like Mr. Gunther, Mr. Nitz, and Mr. Shay.  Like Coach Huber, Coach Pusatera, and Coach Giusti.

It was suddenly as clear as day.  I was going to be a teacher and a coach.  Sure, there would be opportunities out there to earn more money, more prestige, and live a more glamorous lifestyle.  But the happiness I saw in these role models was more than enough to convince me that this was the direction I needed to go.

Fast forward 18 years.  It's now the spring of 2012, and I'm having a conversation with John Schroeder, our retired Assistant Principal here at East Leyden who is now working as a student teacher coordinator in the Chicagoland area for the University of Illinois.

When the subject turns to his student teachers, Mr. Schroeder expresses concern.  In the years during which he has held his current position, he has seen the number of students in the teacher education program at U of I decrease steadily and significantly.  When I ask why he thinks this is the case, this veteran of the educational system in Illinois puts it fairly simply.  If a student comes out of high school with what it takes to gain entry into one of the top universities in the midwest, endures four or five years of hard work and tuition, and earns a degree from the University of Illinois, he or she wants to know one thing for certain:  that there's a job waiting for them somewhere.  And quite frankly, not only are jobs in education dwindling, but those who are fortunate enough to land one are watching as the profession's expectations and requirements rise, while pay, benefits, and public opinion fall.  Why bother?

Isn't that a shame?  To think that this is happening today, in 2013, before many of the proposed changes have even taken hold, makes me shutter.  

Of course I worry about the effects they will have in the near future on my own family, as my wife, my sister, and several other family members are all teachers.

But that pales in comparison to my most ominous fear:  the big picture.  Long term.  

I love my profession, as my wife does hers.  10 years ago, if you had asked me how I would feel if my own son and daughter wanted to follow in our footsteps and  enter the field of education, I would have smiled approvingly.  I don't know if I can say that I would have the same reaction today.  I think about what Mr. Schroeder said, and wonder what it will be like 15 years from now, when my first child graduates from high school.

Consequently, at what cost to society in general are we willing to institute some of these proposed changes?  If the best and brightest no longer decide that the field of education is the way to go, what's left?  And is "what's left" what we really want spending 180 days a year shaping the minds of our sons and daughters?  Is public education really not important enough to our future for this conversation to take place?

I truly hope this does not come off as a teacher complaining and whining.  The state and federal governments are raising expectations of teachers, in an attempt to hold us more accountable.  I'm cool with that.  Bring it on.  I have nothing to hide.  Come on in.  

And I'm not complaining about pay.  Any teacher who does should be scolded.  We all knew the financial pluses and minuses of this job before we signed our first contracts.  I understand that most around us are suffering through these difficult economic times, and that we have to make concessions as well.

But heed this warning:  don't sell out the future for a quick fix now.  It never works.  





1 comment: